NPSA Congress – Mexico City 2018
The 19th Annual Congress of the International Neuropsychoanalysis Society
Repression and defence are arguably the central concepts in Freudian psychology, yet many mysteries remain. In this Congress, we want to dive into the unknown together and see how new insights from psychoanalysis, neuroscience, psychology and philosophy can improve our understanding of these core psychodynamic processes. Here are some of the issues we will address:
- Most of us agree that repression is somehow related to memory. But how? And does therapeutic change really depend upon modifying a patient’s memory of the past?
- Which aspects of repression and defence can be investigated in psychological experiments, and which occur only in the clinical situation?
- What (conscious and unconscious) cognitive and affective factors contribute to repression and defence, and which neural mechanisms play a role?
- At which developmental stage does repression start? And how does repression relate to other mechanisms of defence?
- Repressed desires, conflicts, and trauma are central sources for the dynamic unconscious. But is repression fundamentally different from (conscious) suppression?
Av de los Insurgentes Sur 4303, Sta Úrsula Xitla, 14420 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
Please note that the University has two campuses in the city. The Congress is taking place at the above address
(the Tlalpan campus), not at the Roma-Condesa campus,
for details or to register, please click here.
Daniela Flores Mosri
Simultaneous Spanish translation will be provided
throughout the Congress in the main auditorium.
A shuttle service will be available to provide transport from the Hotel Paraiso Radisson to the Congress venue.
This congress will be accredited for medical doctors, psychologists, and social workers in the UK, USA and all EU countries (under current circumstances). To view the credit hours that are available from the programme, please click here. For further information regarding the international CPD accreditation service, please click here.
The 20th Annual Congress of the International Neuropsychoanalysis Society will be taking place in Brussels, Belgium, in 2019. For further information about next year’s event, please click here.